Whether you are a newly-married or re-married couple, or a couple who has been together for decades — you are in the right place.
Since you are here right now, something tells me that you are curious and open to hearing how you might be able to shift the isolation one or both of you might be feeling, or end the disconnection that may have deepened between you more and more since the diagnosis.
- Have a single focus on the diagnosis and medical plan, and little or no focus on the two humans in your marriage or on your marriage.
- Feel afraid that life, as you knew it, is over, And it might be.
- Believe that your hopes and dreams are unachievable now. And they may be.
In my world of working with couples living with life-threatening and chronic illness I have a few core beliefs…
- I believe you deserve to STOP the havoc that fear, denial, exhaustion and the emotional roller coaster of living with and loving a partner living with life-threatening and chronic illness causes.
- I believe you are ready to positively impact the (stress) triggers that are creating chaos in your life and love-life at this moment.
- I believe you can move forward into a stronger and closer connection with each other and return to the rich and loving life you shared with your partner before the diagnosis!
- I believe you are committed to stop feeling anger, fear, uncertainty and the heartache of broken dreams to Daring to LIVE Well.
- I believe that all things are possible!
The bottom line is this: You have something important to do together… and I’m here to partner with you and get it done!
Hello! I am Dr. Jackie Black and I’m determined to help you get back to the love-life you love and stop settling for the one you have.
How did this become my life?
Well, in the early 1980’s I went with a friend to her Ladies’ Club luncheon and the 30-minute presentation was all about grief and loss. Before that luncheon, I thought that grief was always related to someone dying. But nothing could be further from the truth. I’ll tell you more about that in a minute.
After that luncheon, I started reading everything I could get my hands on related to grief and loss, and death and bereavement. Along the way, I found ADEC (Association for Death Education and Counseling) and I joined immediately.
I was very active in ADEC for a number of years, and attended many trainings and conferences.
Through ADEC, I met many professionals and para-professionals who were just as captivated by the whole area of grief and loss as I was. It didn’t take long to recognize that I was home – professionally speaking.
I was among esteemed colleagues who resonated as deeply as I did with helping people who were ill and dying; supporting them and their families during those often difficult and emotional times; and helping grieving partners and other family members following the death of their loved ones.
And my work extended to supporting people who were ill and not dying. Though, I must confess, that in those years my colleagues wondered how in the world I was supporting them.
Now, here’s the more.
In the mid 1980’s while I was working as a psychologist with men and women fighting cancer, I began to notice that their partners and family members wanted my support too. That was when I started to understand the necessity of supporting couples when one partner was facing life-threatening illness.
Not long after that, I became involved in the AIDS/HIV community and supported people who were ill and their partners. In October 1987 I was privileged to be on the National Grief Team when the AIDS Quilt was on display on the Mall in Washington, DC.
A few years later, a physician who often referred his patients and their partners to me for support, called me and asked me if I could help a friend of his who had recently been diagnosed with Guillain–Barré syndrome, an autoimmune disorder. I wasn’t certain exactly how I would support this man, but I knew I could.
That was the beginning of my work with people who were living with chronic illness.
18 years ago I transitioned into the Coaching field.
Since 1999, when I transitioned into Marriage Coaching, I have guided many couples to discover their unique way to LIVE an extraordinary life together, no matter what health challenges they were facing,
And then there was Mark.
I met and married Mark, the love of my life, and lived happily-ever-after until his death from cancer in 2005.
It’s not a pre-requisite for a professional to have lived your experience in order to be highly effective. And, my personal experience being the partner of a man who lived with cancer and being in a couple who lived WELL with life-threatening illness does provide certain experience that does translate into advantages for you.
So this is my business… getting into YOUR business and guiding you back to the love-life you love and stop settling for the one you have.
Before I go, I want to give you access to my guide to 3 Deadly Love-Traps
Please complete the fields below and I will send you my guide and include you on my Subscriber list!
Here are the benefits you’ll receive as a Subscriber:
- An invitation to join my private Facebook group, THE DARING COUPLES COMMUNITY.
- Invitations to the Free, Live Webinars I host online (one of my favorite things to share with you!).
- Announcements of weekly posts to my blog, SPOTLIGHT ON DARING COUPLES.
- Subscriber-First Special Offers that I make from time to time.
Here’s how we can partner together!
Couples Daring to LIVE Well
7-Week, Multimedia, Online Course
Couples Daring to LIVE Well ~ Destination Retreat
3-Day, Destination, Intensive Retreat
No matter what health challenges you are facing, you deserve to LIVE a remarkable life together.
Thank you for being here. I look forward to getting to know you and providing the support and guidance you have been looking for.
Know, that I am determined to help you move from anger, fear, uncertainty and grieving broken dreams to daring to LIVE well!
Know, that I am ready to partner with you so you can close the emotional gap between you and your partner that has been widening little by little for a while, reignite your enthusiasm for your love-life and reconnect your hearts.