Offering and receiving apologies is an art and requires learning a few simple skills and practicing those skills often.
8 Simple Steps to Receive an Apology From Your Partner:
- Take a deep breath.
- Remind yourself that your partner is not the enemy.
- Remind yourself that your partner is a person who loves you, cherishes you, and values you; and who wouldn’t hurt you for anything in the world.
- Remind yourself that sometimes your partner will do or say something that will hurt your heart; and that it is not uncommon to feel a bit of distant when that happens.
- Keep breathing!
- Now, repeat after me:
“I believe that my partner is sorry that what they said (or didn’t say) or did (or didn’t do) that made me feel like they don’t care about me.
I believe that it was not their intention to say or do anything that would upset me or cause me hurt.
I choose to take in my partner’s acknowledgement that something happened that hurt me.
I choose to allow this apology to begin to repair my hurt feelings.
I choose to allow this apology to soften my heart, calm my upset and cool my anger.
I choose to allow this apology to soothe the wound in my heart now.”
- Then take another deep breath and be quiet.
- Allow yourself to begin to be transformed by your knowing that you are loved, respected and valued. Allow the power of apology to start the healing process.
Take a few minutes now and review the last three “posts” about Apologies.
These three “posts” represent the entire “Apology Process.”
Practice these skills and make it a priority to become an expert at offering, receiving, and accepting apologies. It will improve the quality of your life and love-life beyond measure!
Remember, only YOU can make it happen!
Enjoy my FREE Guide, 3 UN-Loving Traps Couples Face Living With Illness.